Bialik College’s Early Learning Centre is a registered Long Day care centre.
Bialik’s ELC is inspired by the Reggio Emilia educational approach which challenges the role of educators to strive to make visible the curiosity and resilience of the young child through active listening. Our youngest learners are encouraged to be risk-takers, to test theories and to question, and in doing so acquire sound basic skills in all areas including technology.
Children in the ELC benefit from a warm family environment that also provides
– a full-time Arts educator to support children and teachers in the use of materials and developing ideas
– a dedicated E-Learning Coordinator to guide the children’s and teacher’s use of technology
– a full time designated Hebrew speaking assistant to support each child in developing an awareness of who they are as active members of the Jewish and global community and with a strong connection to Israel
– a wonderful ‘Centre for Hidden Treasures’ providing children and teachers with a rich source of materials to stimulate the imagination; and
– regular construction time for children in the ‘Loose Parts’ outdoor area so they can design and build with recycled materials
Lunch in the ELC dining room
A modern kitchen prepares fresh and nutritious lunches for the kinder children. They eat together in a bright and airy communal dining room. Classrooms have designated studio spaces for exploration and innovation, which flow through to individual outdoor garden and play areas. Here, children are free to explore the concept of sustainability, planting and harvesting from the vegetable gardens (and to enjoy seeing “their vegetables” used in the lunch menu).
The Prep Journey
At Bialik, we take special care to ensure every child’s first year of compulsory schooling is as enjoyable and the transition as easy as possible – and we achieve this, by partnering with parents. Parents are supported with workshops and information evenings led by educational experts, where they receive a raft of practical ideas, tips and strategies they can use to also support their child in the areas of numeracy, literacy and the Prep child’s ongoing Jewish journey.
During the Prep year, our young students are introduced to fun and stimulating programs designed to:
- Nourish their Jewish soul: Preps learn their Hebrew letters, explore the festivals and experience interactive Pesach seders, buddied with Year 12 students in a special one-on-one relationship.
- Nourish their numeracy: Numbers take on special significance with Bialik’s Numeracy program for Prep
- Nourish their literacy: Preps love their own reading journals, library lessons and story worlds
- Nourish their whole being: from specialist music to specialist sport and e-learning, Preps are gently partnered through their learning journey
Nevatim: Bialik’s pre-kinder program for 2-yr olds
Find out more about Nevatim, Bialik’s pre-kinder program for 2-year olds by clicking here
Before and After-School Care at the ELC
A before-school care facility operates daily from 7.15am at the Early Learning Centre for children in Kindergarten, Prep and Year 1. After-school care is available on Monday to Thursday from 3.30pm to 6.00pm and on Friday from 12.00pm to 5.00pm. For information, please contact